Summer Student Job Postingasouthin2023-05-24T10:10:40-04:00
Summer Student Job Posting
Summer Experience Program 2023:
Theatre Production Assistant
Date Posted: May 17, 2023
Application Deadline: Friday, June 2nd, 2023
Start Date: Monday, June 19th, 2023
Hourly From: $16.00/hour
Organization’s Field/Discipline: Arts & Culture
Job Type: Summer Jobs
Theatre Collingwood was established in 1984, and is Collingwood’s pre-eminent and enduring performance company. We are committed to enriching the artistic tapestry of our region through inclusive collaboration with members of the Arts & Culture community. Theatre Collingwood presents and produces live theatre and music performances year-round, and offers educational programs for both the youth and seniors of South Georgian Bay.
Job Title: Production Assistant/Summer Student Position
Term: Monday, June 19th, 2023 to Friday, August 18, 2023 (9 weeks)
Salary: $16.00/ hour for 36.25 paid hours per week
Location: On-site in Collingwood, Ontario
Are you a student and do you love live theatre? Are you looking for a future career in the arts or do you want to obtain skills that will help you in other business careers? Are you friendly and outgoing and enjoy working with people? Then we may have a great summer job for you that promises to be more than just a paycheque!
The student Production Assistant will assist the Theatre Collingwood Executive Director and the Associate Producer with the production planning and execution of our outdoor 2023 Porchside Festival. This annual event occurs throughout July and consists of 39 performances on and around porches in the Collingwood area. The Production Assistant will also assist with our regular season shows and educational programs. This position provides mentorship, close communication, and interaction with a variety of theatre professionals. It will give you a peek into how shows make it to the stage (or porch!), and what it takes to sell tickets, get sponsors, welcome audiences, present the shows, and pay the bills!
This position is funded through the Ontario Summer Experience program. You MUST currently be a student in order to apply. To be eligible for this position, applicants MUST:
- Be between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment;
- Must be currently enrolled in a secondary, or post-secondary institution or within six months of graduation;.
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act;
- Be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with the relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
With guidance and supervision responsibilities may include:
- Assisting the Associate Producer with scheduling production needs for 12 Porchside Festival shows (36 performances total) to take place in July 2023.
- Assisting the production and administrative team with Regular Theatre Season shows
- Assisting the technical director with show installations
- Working with the Front of House manager
- Learn to troubleshoot before a problem occurs
- Assist with the strike (take down) of materials following performances
- Tending to the needs of performers (communication, housing needs, ordering or delivering pre show meals)
- Operating basic equipment during performances with assistance
- Assisting the administrative staff with fulfilling the needs of educational program execution
- Assisting the Production Manager with arranging required rental equipment for the festival
- Attending all production meetings and assisting the Production Manager by taking notes and following up on action items
- Other tasks as assigned
- An interest and love of the arts and specifically live theatre and music
- Experience attending live theatre and music performances (if you have never been to a live performance please do not apply)
- Team player but also motivated independent worker
- Willing to learn
- Trustworthy/Understands confidentiality
- Good customer service skills
- High energy level
- Experience with basic sound equipment an asset but not essential
- Organizational or production skills from previous arts work (paid or volunteer) an asset
- Valid G-class driver’s license an asset
- Experience working with Microsoft Office, Excel, and Google Suite an asset
- Willing to work select evenings and weekend days
How to Apply:
Please submit a Resume and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
In the subject line please include your name and Student Summer Employment . Alternatively, please drop off a physical copy of your resume and cover letter to 150 St. Paul Street, Unit 201, Collingwood, between the hours of 10am – 5pm, Monday through Friday.